Cloud Computing and SaaS
Cloud Computing places information systems with high level interfaces and elastic scalability in professionally managed datacenters.
What is SaaS?
SaaS, or Software as a Service, is a shift from locally hosted software, to a cloud-hosted model. Examples include enterprise management systems, such as QuickBooks Online; phone systems, such as our managed RingCentral UCaaS/VoIP; or email and collaboration suites, like our managed Google Workspace or Microsoft 365.
This contrasts with the old paradigm of keeping information systems on computers located in your business.
There are some big advantages to moving information systems to the cloud:
- You can access them from anywhere
- They function even during a power or telecommunications outage
- Everything below the application layer is abstracted away
- Paid for in small monthly subscriptions based on user count
- Uptime is guaranteed, defined by an SLA
- Hands-off maintenance; security and feature updates are continuous
- Hosted in secure datacenters, staffed 24x7x365